10 Steps to Successful Time Management
- Set Goals and Priorities
Stay focused by establishing goals and setting priorities. Reevaluate them often to remain on track.
- Set a Deadline
To avoid procrastination and to track progress and achievement, set a realistic deadline for each of your goals.
- Break it Up
Break up big processes into mini-projects. Plan them by time or task and assign a schedule.
Clutter wastes time. Keep things in their proper place to avoid needless searching for misplaced items.
- Slow Down
Take on only as much as you are willing and able to so. The world will not end if you say "no" when you need to.
- Make a Plan
Establish a direction of your project ad develop a schedule and milestones around it. Assess the resources required.
Free yourself by allowing others to help you. Offer growth opportunities. Give clear directions and set deadlines.
- Anticipate the Unexpected
Overestimate space, time, cost and related tasks. Allow for extra problems or difficulties. Schedule flex-time.
- Keep a Master Calendar
Write commitments in one calendar. Review and update your calendar daily. Keep it available and uncluttered.
- Look at the Big Picture
Don't waste energy micromanaging routine procedures. Concentrate on what truly needs your attention.
Other Time Management Resources
- The ABC Method of Time Management - Texas A&M University
- The A-B-C Value Rating - George Washington University
- Controlling Procrastination - University of Guelph
- Effective Time Planning Strategies - University of Guelph
- Efficient Time Scheduling - Texas Woman's University
- Establish Short and Long Term Goals - George Washington University
- The Heart of Managing Your Time and Yourself: O-PATSM - California State University, Long Beach
- How Come I Never Have Enough Time? - University of Miami
- How to Beat Procrastination - St. Joseph's University
- Identify Obstacles to Time Management! - George Washington University
- Make a To-Do List - George Washington University
- Making a Tasklist - University of Guelph
- More Information on Time Scheduling - Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- No One Can Be Perfect - University of Miami
- Overcoming Procrastination - SUNY at Buffalo
- Overcoming Procrastination - Texas Woman's University
- Overcoming Procrastination - University of Illinois
- Perfectionism - University of Illinois
- Perfectionism: A Double-Edged Sword - University of Texas at Austin
- Preventing Perfectionism - SUNY at Buffalo
- Procrastination - Massey University
- Procrastination & Time Management - University of Oregon
- Procrastination Prevention - University of Texas at Dallas
- Procrastination: Problem or Plus? - Kansas State University
- Putting a Stop to Putting It Off - University of North Carolina
- Time Management - Edinboro University
- Time Management - Kansas State University
- Time Management - SUNY at Buffalo
- Time Management - Texas Woman's University
- Time Management - University of Cincinnati
- Time Management - University of Florida
- Time Management - University of Illinois
- Time Management - University of South Florida
- Time Management - University of Texas at Dallas
- Time Management - University of Waterloo
- Time Management for University Students - York University
- Time Management: Making It Work for You - University of Guelph
- Time Management Techniques - University of North Carolina
- Time and Schedule Management - Michigan State University
- Time Scheduling Suggestions - Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Tips for Saving Time - St. Joseph's University
- Top Ten Tips for Improving Time Management - George Washington University
Source: Student Counseling & Resource Service-- University of Chicago Virtual Pamphlet Collection