- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
Campus Construction to Be Completed this Summer
The transformation of Santa Clara University into a pedestrian-friendly campus with the Mission Church as its centerpiece continues.
Last summer, Palm Drive was closed and turned into a pedestrian mall that allows visitors to walk to the Mission Church. The mall was donated by alumni John A. and John M. Sobrato in memory of alumna Abby Sobrato, class of 1983.
After commencement this June, the next phase will begin: Alviso Street will close. It will reopen as a pedestrian mall after Labor Day 2014. The goal is to make the campus safer for pedestrians and allow visitors to focus on the beauty of the Mission Church instead of on traffic and parked cars.
The parking spaces lost in the street closures have been replaced—and added to—by a parking structure that opened in November at 1063 Alviso St. near the future site of the Edward M. Dowd Art and Art History Building. Handicapped parking is being expanded throughout the campus as well.
All the pedestrian malls are accessible to emergency vehicles, and Palm Drive is still available for some ceremonial events.
To visit the campus and see the changes, stop at the entrance kiosk. From there, visitors will be directed to park in the main parking garage, on the street, or in an open parking lot.