Back to Blog
(Un)Subscribing and Mailing Lists
As of January 18, the university adopted a new mailing list service (Mailman). The new software provides more controlled access to Essential lists, and provides easier
management of list membership for individuals.
Technology Training gets several requests throughout the year from users asking to be added to or removed from a SCU mailing list. Unfortunately, as software trainers, we have no control over mailing list subscriptions—but you do!
To Subscribe to a Mailing List:
- Go to https://lists.scu.edu and find the list you would like to subscribe to.
- Click on the list and it will take you to the list's information page.
- Under subscription information, fill out the form with your email address, your name, and a password. If you do not provide a password, Mailman will create one for you.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your email address (the one you entered).
Note: Faculty, staff, and students are automatically subscribed to the essential mailing lists (SCU-Faculty-Essential, SCU-Staff-Essential, SCU-UGrad-Essential, and SCU-Grad-Essential). If you have not been receiving these emails, contact IT at 554-5700.
To Unsubscribe from a Mailing List:
For general global lists (SCU-Faculty, SCU-Staff, SCU-Student-Events, and SCU-Grad-Events) you may unsubscribe using these instructions. The general global lists have both an Unsubscribe section and a Subscriber section. Please use Unsubscribe section and your SCU email address to unsubscribe.
- Go to https://lists.scu.edu
- Find the list from which you want to unsubscribe and click on it. You will be taken to that list's information page.
Please read the information at the top of this page if you are trying to unsubscribe from an essential or general list. The general lists required your SCU email address.
- Depending on the list you chose, the list information page will either have an Unsubscribing section and a Subscriber section or the page will only have the Subscriber section.
- For lists with an Unsubscribe section.
- Enter the your email address in the text box next to the "Unsubscribe" button,
- Click on the "Unsubscribe" button. Then see the common steps at the next numbered step below.
- For lists with only a Subscriber section at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the your email address in the text box next to the "Unsubscribe or edit" button,
- Click on the "Unsubscribe or edit" button. Then see the common steps at the next numbered step below.
- Common Steps:
After you have clicked on the button above, you will be taken to the members options page where one task you can perform is to Unsubscribe from the list.
- Locate the Unsubscribe section in the middle of the page and click on the "Unsubscribe" button,
- A confirmation email will be sent to your email address (the one you entered). Please read the confirmation message. You MUST respond and take the necessary action needed to be removed from the list.
Note: You can't unsubscribe from an "essential" mailing list. These lists are used to send important University-related messages and only a few people can send messages to them.
Visit IT's E-Mail Help page for more on email lists, including requesting your own mailing list and using other mail clients.
GroupWise and email