Santa Clara University

Study Abroad

Embassies & Consulates


An Embassy is one country's main diplomatic office in another county, usually in the capital city of the host country, where the ambassador resides.

A Consulate is a building where the Consul General can be found. The Consul General is an official appointed by a government to reside in a foreign country and represent his or her government's commercial interests and assist its citizens there. 

Finding US Embassies

Find US Embassies abroad here: 

Registering at the US Embassies 

Santa Clara University requires all students to register their presence abroad with the US embassy in their host country. Registration may be accomplished easily prior to departure through the Department of State's Smart Traveler's Enrollment Program (STEP):

Why register at US Embassies When You Travel?

Enrolling in STEP makes your presence and whereabouts known in case it is necessary for a consular officer to contact you in an emergency. During a disaster overseas, American consular officers can assist in evacuation, if necessary, but they cannot assist you if they do not know where you are. If you are not a US citizen, contact your country's embassy. 


Foreign Embassies in the US can be great resources for information about their country. You may find it useful to contact the embassy in the US for the country in which you will study abroad. Foreign embassies are located in Washington D.C. If you are required to obtain a student visa for you study abroad destination, you should check with the embassy for your own country to find out about the application process and regulations. Usually, you will apply for your visa through a consulate located in a major city near your home town, rather than through the Embassy itself. For a list of foreign embassies, visit:

Printer-friendly format