J-1 Categories at SCU
There are three Exchange Visitor Categories offered at SCU: Research Scholar, Professor and Student. If you fall under the category of Research Scholar or Professor please contact Jonna Delgado, Human Resources at JSDelgado@scu.edu. Please read the following information carefully to determine which category best fits your situation.
All non-student categories are managed through Human Resources.
An individual concerned primarily with conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project and is also allowed to teach or lecture. The research scholar category:
- is used for SCU appointments of 3 weeks to 5 years in duration.
- allows for extensions up to the 5 year maximum.
- is subject to a 24-month bar on return visits as a J research scholar at the end of the program.
- may be able to return to the U.S. in a different J category (such as Short-Term Scholar) or in other types of nonimmigrant status such F-1 student, B-1/ B-2 visitor, H-1B Temporary Worker, or Visa Waiver Waiver Program during the 24-month bar period.
An individual concerned primarily with teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting. J-1 Professors may also participate in departmental research. If the Exchange Visitor will be here primarily to conduct research the Research Scholar category above is more appropriate, even if the individual is a professor in his or her home country. The professor category:
- is used for SCU appointments of 3 weeks to 5 years in duration
- allows for extensions up to the 5 year maximum
- is subject to a 24-month bar on return visits as a J research scholar and professor at the end of the program
- may return to the U.S. in J-1 Short-Term Scholar (see below) or in any other visa category such as F-1 student, B-1/ B-2 visitor, H-1B Temporary Worker, or Visa Waiver Program during the 24-month bar period.
Non-Degree Seeking Student
An individual engaged in a prescribed non-degree academic program with a specific educational objective. Such a course of study may include classroom instruction, and research projects. Exchange Visitors can participate in the Non-Degree Student category for no more than 24 months. For more information on incoming international exchange students at SCU, visit the Study Abroad website.
An individual who has been admitted by the University to obtain a degree. Exchange Visitors in this category can extend their stay in the U.S. until they complete their degree objectives as long as they maintain valid status.