We hold ourselves responsible for living out these core values, which are critical for carrying out our mission in pursuit of our vision:
- Academic Quality. We seek an uncompromising standard of excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarship. All three elements are essential to academic quality at Santa Clara. We prize original scholarship for its own sake and for the contribution it makes to teaching and to the betterment of society. Our commitment to academic freedom is unwavering.
- Integrated Learning. While valuing the integrity of established disciplines, we endeavor to integrate different forms of knowledge, to educate the whole person, and to foster moral and spiritual development. By promoting learning in everything we do, we foster a lifelong passion for learning.
- Commitment to Students. As teachers and scholars, mentors and facilitators, we nurture and challenge students as we help them become independent learners and responsible leaders in society.
- Service to Others. We promote throughout the University a culture of service; service not only to those who study and work at Santa Clara but also to society in general and to its most disadvantaged members.
- Community and Diversity. We cherish our diverse community and the roots that must sustain it: shared values amidst diversity, close personal relationships, effective communication, respect for others, and an engaged concern for the common good of the campus, the local community, and the global society.
- Jesuit Distinctiveness. We preserve and renew the Jesuit tradition, which incorporates all of these core values. Our tradition is an expression of Christian humanism in which faith and reason together animate the most fundamental human quest?the pursuit of truth and goodness. This pursuit challenges us to counter inhumanity with humanity, to act ethically, and to promote justice with faith. We also take part in the broader Catholic tradition to which Jesuits have made a major contribution.