- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
University Guiding Principles
The following guiding principles, based on the University's Statement of Purpose, are intended to focus the efforts of the entire University community toward achieving distinction and distinctiveness.
The goals of Santa Clara University are to:
1. Educate for leadership in the Jesuit tradition.
2. Serve as a voice of reason, conscience, and compassion in society.
3. Foster academic excellence and a lifelong passion for learning.
4. Create a learning environment that integrates rigorous inquiry, creative imagination, reflective engagement with society, and a commitment to fashioning a more humane and just world.
5. Encourage innovation, while preserving the best of our traditions, to enhance our learning and living environment.
6. Nurture a diverse University community rooted in mutual understanding and respect.
7. Promote throughout the University a culture of service that fosters the development of personal responsibility.
8. Strive for effective communication and responsible decision making at every level to advance our mission.
9. Build a stronger financial base to enhance the quality of the University.
Approved by the President's Staff, October 12, 1993