- CSTS Home
- About Us
- Energy Focus
- Impact Capital
- News & Events
About the GSBI
The Global Social Benefit Institute (GSBI®) is a hub for global, innovation-based entrepreneurship in service to humanity. GSBI currently includes two distinct capacity development programs to social entrepreneurs: the GSBI Accelerator, which offers customized curriculum for more advanced social enterprises preparing to scale their business, and GSBI Online, which offers general business training for earlier-stage ventures to validate their enterprise’s model. Both programs are designed for high engagement between entrepreneurs, Silicon Valley mentors, and program staff. The GSBI Network is an affiliation of mission-aligned universities and organizations building social enterprise incubators and accelerators.
ImpactGSBI® programs have helped social entrepreneurs in over 55 countries since 2003 with impressive outcomes. We survey our alumni regularly to assess their impact and aggregate the results to show their collective impact:
• 202 enterprises have completed GSBI programs
• Nearly 100 million people’s lives have been positively impacted* by these enterprises
• 40% of the enterprises are scaling, meaning that impact is growing in a financially sustainable manner. This scaling rate is more than three times that of conventional for-profit ventures.
• $89 million of funding has been raised by enterprises post-GSBI programs
• 90% of GSBI alumni are still in business
*Social impact is challenging to measure, especially since GSBI alumni impact lives in many different ways. As part of their participation in GSBI, entrepreneurs identify a metric for tracking the number of lives their venture positively impacts, such as number of people with clean drinking water or number of people using clean cookstoves. The impact of each enterprise is displayed on its alumni profile.