history and traditions
Santa Clara Snapshot: 1938
- 1 happy baby seal captured on film being fed from a bottle by Bernard Hubbard, S.J., “The Glacier Priest.”
- 2 pounds of weight lost on average by each Santa Clara student who “crams” for exams, according to the Bureau of Educational Surveys.
- 40 cents for the “Santa Clara Special” at Lucca Café, across the street from campus. Includes soup, salad, entrée, dessert, and drink.
- 83 minutes is deemed “too long” for a cartoon in a review of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in the student newspaper, The Santa Clara.
- 41,000 people in New Orleans watch Santa Clara beat Louisiana State University in the Sugar Bowl—for the second year in a row—on New Year’s Day.
Building a house for the 2013 Solar Decathlon. That, and changing the world.
Telling a delicious tale of food and family with chef David Cordúa ’04.
Taut and tranquil moments in Afghanistan—an essay in words and images.
The Dalai Lama’s first visit to Santa Clara.
Building safer houses in Ecuador. Research on capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica. Helping empower girls in The Gambia. And this is just the beginning for the Johnson Scholars Program.
The annual State of the University address, including some fabulous news for the arts and humanities. And the announcement of Santa Clara 2020, a new vision for the University.