- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
At the Center
Advice for Cities in Fiscal Crisis
Friday, Aug. 3, 2012
Go back to basics. That's the advice from Judy Nadler, Markkula Center senior fellow in government ethics, for cities facing tight budgets or even insolvency.
In an article for the Wall Street Journal's MarketWatch, she recommends:
1. Spend only what you can afford.
2. Be realistic about what you need, versus what you want.
3. Consolidate, cooperate, and collaborate.
4. Create, strengthen, and maintain a culture of ethics.
5. Recommit to the importance of public service.
Tags: government ethics