Christmas Holidays Closure
In gratitude for your dedication and hard work, I am pleased to announce that, in addition to our regularly scheduled Christmas holidays, the University will close on December 26, 27 and 30. These additional days will be administrative closure days. Except for essential services, the University will close at the end of business on Monday, December 23, 2013, and re-open on Thursday, January 2, 2014. To all those who provide essential services, I offer my gratitude and that of the entire University community for ensuring that necessary operations continue during the closure.
Please note too, that all are invited to attend our annual ecumenical Christmas service in the Mission Church on December 18 at 4:30 p.m. Following the service, we will hold our Christmas and Holidays Party for faculty and staff. I hope you will join with colleagues and friends for an evening of celebration as we ring in the season of peace and joy.
Board of Trustees Meeting, October 17-18
The October 17-18 Board of Trustees meeting focused on the strategic goals and objectives that were refined over the past year in support of the 2011 Strategic Plan. To set the stage, Provost Dennis Jacobs and I presented an integrated set of strategic, enrollment, and facilities master plans. That vision was the result of significant input from over 50 faculty and staff who served on six strategic advisory committees this past academic year.
Following the presentation, the trustees spent a day examining and discussing the integrated plans, the six strategic goals, and the related objectives. The trustees were overwhelmingly supportive of the vision for Santa Clara’s future which will be developed into a compelling fundraising campaign. With the affirmation from the trustees, I look forward to sharing the plans for that vision with the University community when final details are completed. I congratulate Provost Jacobs and his staff who led the process to ensure broad participation and clear articulation of an aspirational and inspirational educational vision for University.
In other business, the trustees voted to accept the Audit Report prepared by our independent auditor and heard reports from the Board of Regents, Faculty Senate, and Associated Student Government. Kirk Syme, Chair of the Regents, reported that the Regents revised their by-laws and agreed to establish a Regents scholarship fund. Juliana Chang, President of the Faculty Senate, updated the trustees on the Child Care Task Force and the Task Force on Student Evaluation of Teaching. She also presented concerns of faculty regarding the recent decision to exclude elective abortions from SCU’s healthcare plans. In closing her remarks, Julie read to the trustees the petition circulating about the recent decision. Judith Martinez next spoke about the initiatives of the Associated Student Government this year. The ASG is helping to roll-out the mobile app for events happening across departments on campus; they will be hosting coffee sessions with students in their “Brew with the Board” program; they have begun a program with the Law School for undergraduate students to shadow law students in their classes; and they continue to work with faculty on the Academic Honor Code.
Month of Remembrance
I reiterate Fr. Jack Treacy’s invitation to the University community to participate in the Month of Remembrance. Throughout November we honor a long-held tradition in Christian churches when we recall our departed loved ones and pray for their peace. Here are some ways to take part:
- attend the special Mass on Friday, November 1, the Feast of All Saints, when we celebrate the lives of loved ones who have died.
- submit your personal prayer requests for departed family and friends through the online form. The names of your special intentions will be collected through October 28 and placed in the Book of Names in the Mission Church for remembrance until November 21.
- inscribe the names of deceased loved ones in the Book of Names in the Mission Church.
- share photos of loved ones at the Altar of Remembrance in the Mission Church.
What's Ahead on My Calendar...
- October 29 - Orientation for Members of the University Planning Committees
- November 1 - Feast of All Saints
- November 1 - Silicon Valley Leadership Group Public Policy Luncheon
- November 4 - Open Meeting for Faculty and Staff
- November 4 - St. Ignatius Preparatory Board of Trustees Meeting
- November 6 - Graduate Theological Union Council of Presidents Meeting
- November 7 - Law School Dean's Circle Reception
- November 7 - Misa En Espanol
- November 10 - Alumni Event in Seattle
- November 14 - The Tech Awards
- November 18 - Administrative Leaders Group Meeting
- November 22 - WCC Presidents Council Meeting
- November 28 - Thanksgiving