Welcome to the Jesuit School of Theology (JST)!
On behalf of the entire staff, faculty and student body, we would like to thank you for your interest in our school and in the study of theology. As Assistant Dean of Enrollment Management and Marketing, I am a resource for prospective students who are beginning their journey towards graduate theological studies in one of our advanced degree programs. As you being your search, I encourage you to use this website in order to become familiar with our many degree programs, the diverse interests of our exceptional faculty, and the many ministerial and academic opportunities that await you here in the Bay Area. The variety of degree programs offered at JST serve the needs of a student body composed of women and men from over forty countries who are committed to a 2000-year-old-faith, and a 21st century approach. We hope that this site is helpful to you and we look forward to meeting you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you may have as you discern the program that is right for you!
Maureen A. Beckman
If you have not done so already, introduce yourself to us by filling out the request information form. As soon as we receive your request we will be in touch with you and we will send you a packet of detailed information about academics and graduate life at JST.
Plan A Visit
We invite you also to visit our school and community in Berkeley, California. The best way to decide if graduate studies in theology at JST is right for you, is to come for a visit. During a visit you will have the opportunity to:
- Tour our campus...located in the scenic North Berkeley hills, JST is a short walk from downtown Berkeley and a brief commute to the heart of nearby San Francisco
- Experience contextualized theology...attend a graduate class of your choice and, with students from one of the largest and most diverse partnership of seminaries and graduate schools in the United States, engage in the center of JST academic life
- Let a current student take you to lunch or coffee...get to know JST from the perspective of a person who has been in your position and learn about the ministries, academic interests, and accomplishments of our current students and alumni
- Disscuss graduate studies with a faculty member...meet with a member of our faculty to discuss an area of your interest, to learn about our programs and to discover where you fit in
- Meet with members of our administrative team...get acquainted with graduate life at JST; explore housing options, financial aid information, and ministry opportunities
- Meet with members of our admissions team...begin your graduate school application!
- Live like a graduate student for a night or two...spend the night in on-campus housing for free!
We encourage you to take advantage of this great opportunity!
A note on how to use our site:
As you may have noticed, the admissions portion of our site is designed to help you navigate the admissions process. When you visit the admissions/programs page you will find a list of our programs. Click on a program that interests you and you will find a brief introduction, program specific prerequisites, and the application checklist for the program. This is also where you will find the links to apply online and to download a printable application.
If you are interested in learning about a particular program in depth, please visit the academics/programs page and select the program you would like to learn more about. Here you can find out degree specific academic information:degree objectives, coursework distributions, degree requirements, and other important facts about each of our academic programs.