Santa Clara University

Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University in Berkeley

Visa Status


International students will need the F-1 student visa to study in the United States. On the F-1 visa, students must enroll full-time at 9-12 units per semester. (Exception: In the New Directions sabbatical program, 6 units constitutes full-time enrollment in combination with other components of the program.) To apply for an F-1 visa, you will need to be accepted for admission to the Jesuit School. You will also need to provide the Jesuit School with documentation of your financial ability to cover tuition and fees and all living expenses during the entire time of your studies.

Estimated Tuition, Fees, Living Expenses for 2015-2016 Academic Year

S.T.D, S.T.L. and Th.M. Applicants $40,316
M.Div., S.T.B., and M.T.S. Applicants $36,891
M.A. Applicants $37,240
New Directions Applicants* $TBD

*New Directions Applicants: Costs are dependent upon the number of courses taken, and the number of semesters studied; the above amount covers two courses per semester for two semesters.  Please see the Estimated Expenses information prepared by the New Directions office.

Dependents: Add $7,000 for spouse and $4,000 per child

View the 2015-2016 Estimated Budget Sheet to see a breakdown of costs.


In order to apply for the F-1 student visa, you will need an I-20 form issued by the school.
The Jesuit School cannot issue this certification form for the student visa until it has received the required documentation of financial support, which consists of the following:

  1. a letter from one’s financial sponsor attesting that they will cover all expenses for the duration of one’s studies, including tuition and fees and living expenses. If you are financing your own studies, you should submit a letter to this effect. If you have more than one sponsor, each sponsor should submit a letter indicating the amount of their sponsorship.
  2. documentation from the sponsor’s bank verifying that there are enough funds on deposit to cover at least the first year’s expenses.

If you are currently studying at another school in the U.S. as an F-1 student, you will have to be accepted at the Jesuit School and submit documentation of financial support in order to transfer to the Jesuit School in F-1 status. Once you have been accepted and confirmed your intention to attend the Jesuit School, notify the International Student Advisor at both schools so that they can arrange this transfer.

Download the I-20 request form. Please allow approximately two weeks for your application to be processed.


For further information about applying for a visa, please contact the Assistant Dean of Students, Paul Kircher, via email at or via phone at (510) 549-5029, or visit the website of the nearest American consulate. For a directory of American consulates throughout the world, see:

Printer-friendly format
Social Media
Facebook Twitter Linkedin YouTube
Contact Information

Paul Kircher

Assistant Dean of Students
(510) 549-5029

Translate icon Translate