International students who wish to apply for admission to the Jesuit School of Theology should supply the following:
- A completed application for admission. No application fee is required for International Applicants.
- A personal statement of purpose that indicates why you are applying to the Jesuit School for graduate theological studies. Describe your academic background, ministerial experience, your current work and your future career plans.
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary academic work. S.T.D. applicants need only supply official transcripts for the S.T.L. or the S.S.L.
- Two letters of recommendation addressing your academic qualifications for the program to which you are applying. We prefer that these letters be written by someone who recently taught you; however, applicants who have been out of school for an extended period of time may submit a recommendation from an employer, a professional colleague or a church or community leader.
For students applying to the Master of Divinity program, the second letter should address your personal and ministerial qualifications for admission to the Jesuit School.
- Scores of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last five years. Exception is made for candidates who have done recent graduate level study. For more information about the GRE, visit the GRE web site. The Jesuit School institution code for the GRE is 4367.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must also prove their ability to speak and write English. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required unless:
- an applicant’s native language is English;
- an applicant demonstrates completion of a graduate degree program where English is the language of instruction;
- the applicant has completed at least one year of full-time graduate study in an institution where English is the language of instruction. These applicants must also submit a sample of their academic writing of approximately 20 pages in length.
Applicants who take the Educational Testing Service's test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must provide acceptable scores to be considered for admission. Official scores should be sent directly to the Office of Enrollment Management from the Educational Testing Service. The Jesuit School of Theology’s institutional code number for the TOEFL is 4390. For more information about the exam, please visit the TOEFL website at: www.toefl.org