Assistant Director, Social Media & Career Networking
Requisition Number (please reference): 1001372
Santa Clara University is a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located in California's Silicon Valley, offering its 8,800 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, plus master's, Ph.D., and law degrees.
Distinguished by the highest retention rate and ranked second among all master's universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report, Santa Clara University is California's oldest operating institution of higher-education. The University is focused on creating an academic community that educates citizens and leaders who will build a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
As a team member of the Alumni Relations office, the Assistant Director, Social Media & Career Networking will advance the strategic goals and priorities of Santa Clara University through the creation, assessment, and implementation of innovative and effective uses of social media, alumni career networking activities, and engagement measurement/analysis. These efforts will result in enhancing the university's efforts to create affinity with alumni, students, and other external constituencies in order to strengthen engagement and lifelong relationships.
The Assistant Director, Social Media & Career Networking reports to the Associate Director, Marketing & Communications and requires a deep passion for new media and a genuine interest in the lives of Santa Clara University students and alumni.
I. Specific Responsibilities
- Social Media
- Build SCU's visibility, advance Divisional objectives, and engage alumni through the innovative use of social media platforms.
- Plan and implement compelling initiatives to grow membership, alumni engagement, and traffic across all association social media properties.
- Manage, update, and maintain the Alumni Association's relationship with the alumni communities on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and other social and emerging online sites.
- Manage the Association's online reputation and respond to conversations in a timely and professional way.
- Keep key university stakeholders informed of trends and topics of interest.
- Develop appropriate and engaging content for social media platforms.
- Create and manage appropriate policies/procedures policy to guide messaging and content development on all social media platforms.
- Establish and analyze metrics to ensure effectiveness of campaigns.
- Recommend best practices in social media tools, emerging technologies, and online applications that will enhance the engagement of Santa Clara alumni.
- Determine new initiatives worthy of further development
- Develop and manage a rolling 3-6 month editorial calendar for social media in order to provide fresh, engaging content on a regular basis.
- Provide social media consulting and guidance to other Alumni Relations staff.
- Career Support & Networking
- Define, build and deliver a comprehensive plan for effective alumni career and networking programs.
- Create, implement, and evaluate new policies and programs to enhance the visibility and effectiveness of alumni career networking and support.
- Develop and deliver diverse career programs and networking opportunities using a variety of media and programs (e.g. webinars, social media, workshops, regional events).
- Develop and manage the Alumni Association LinkedIn strategy while taking a lead role in the University?s presence on this platform.
- Identify and engage alumni who are professional leaders in their fields and are willing to provide advice and guidance to fellow alumni and SCU students.
- Collaborate closely with the Career Center to develop and deliver appropriate content and programs that support alumni career and professional development needs.
- Manage the Career Resources section of the Alumni Association website.
- Serve as the liaison to the Career Center, Graduate Business Career Management department, and Law Career Services department
- Manage and communicate appropriate Alumni Relations performance measurements.
- Serve as the liaison to the Advancement Services department in Development.
- Active Alumni Relations Team Member
- Participate as part of the Alumni Relations team in the planning and decision-making associated with the development and implementation of Alumni Association strategies, services, and offerings.
- Assist efforts to achieve University Relations goals, including but not limited to alumni participation, branding efforts, and admissions support.
- Assist with signature association events throughout the year, including but not limited to Grand Reunion, Graduation Picnic, Vintage Santa Clara, Pasta Feed, and the Chapter Workshop.
- Plan and manage one reunion class each year.
- Participate in all Alumni Association Board of Directors meetings and committees, as appropriate.
- Establish strong relationships with Career Center, Corporate Relations, and other strategic partners on campus.
- Other responsibilities to meet Alumni Association and University Relations strategic initiatives, as assigned.
- Commitment to the mission, values and goals of Santa Clara University.
- College degree and two to five years of experience in marketing, social media management, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Skilled with all major social media platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Google +, Flickr, and Tumblr, working knowledge of SEO principles, and experience with e-communications, mobile, and other related online technologies. Video and multimedia experience desired.
- Early adopter attitude toward ever-evolving technology tools.
- Familiarity with Adobe inDesign, Blackbaud Raiser's Edge (or similar database) and BBNC (or similar offering) a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Strong public speaking, writing, and editing skills are required.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines and providing excellent customer service in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to work effectively, strategically and tactfully with a wide range of both internal and external groups; ability to collaborate effectively with co-workers and share appropriate information in a timely and proactive fashion is essential.
- Demonstrated initiative in resolving issues, with consideration given to improving existing processes, implementing best practices, and streamlining procedures.
- Ability to exercise judgment and maintain confidentiality on a wide spectrum of topics and issues for which discretion is required.
- Willing and able to work during nonstandard business hours, which will include evenings and weekends.
- Willingness to travel, as required
- Knowledge of Santa Clara University, SCU alumni, and SCU online communities is preferred.
Job Application Process
View All Staff Opportunities
View All Faculty Opportunities
Santa Clara University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.
Santa Clara University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Santa Clara University report, please go to the Campus Safety Services website at http://www.scu.edu/cs/. To request a paper copy please call Campus Safety at (408) 554-4441. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.