- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
Staff Senate Newsletter
Volunteer Opportunities for Staff
Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010
SUPER HALLOWEEN EVENT - For HomeSafe Women and Children's shelter in San Jose - October 27 2010 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
How to get involved: We are looking for a variety of donations and we welcome volunteers who want to serve at the party in costume.
- Donate any new or gently used (clean) child's costume(s). Each child at the shelter will be presented with a costume which they will be able to wear to the Halloween Party. Please put donation in a paper bag marked with the type of costume, size, indicate for boy or girl, and drop off at the Registrar's office, Walsh Administration, to the attention of Marquita Coe. Please deliver no later than October 18th so that we will have time to seek costumes for children who may not have received one... (Hint - Check out the thrift shops and church stores like St.Justine's for second hand inexpensive costumes. We do have a list of the sizes needed if you plan on purchasing. Contact Marquita at email@example.com if you want to target a specific size.)
- Donate cans of decorating icing (with tips), sprinkles, gummy bears (any decorating item for cupcakes). We will provide plain chocolate and vanilla cupcakes which the women and children will be decorating. (No nuts please!)
- Donate Halloween stickers and color crayons (can be used, in good shape) for the children to use in decorating their own trick or treat bags. We also are in need of plain paper bags w handles for this project. (Note: if interested in donating the paper bags please email Julie Stone (firstname.lastname@example.org) for size OR please cut out or go on line and get the Michael’s store discount coupons. Get them to us so that we can use them for obtaining the needed materials.
- Donate bags of candy (please provide enough pieces for the 88 mothers and children’s treat bags) Children will “fish” for their treat bag which they can stick in the trick or treat bag that they make. (No nuts please!)
- Donate any book scraping materials that we can use in a special project we are doing with the Mothers. They will be putting together scrap books creatively using small lunch paper bags and decorating. (If interested in donating small lunch size paper bags please contact Julie Stone (email@example.com). Pictures will be taken of them with their children in costume which they will be able to put in them.
- Donate any Halloween decorations. We will use these to decorate the room at the shelter where we will be holding the party. Please put donations in paper bag and drop off to Jan Davis, Philosophy Department, Kenna Hall, 200.
- Monetary donations of any size welcome. We hope to receive all the costumes and other materials mentioned above from donations. Monetary donations will go towards those items we are not able to receive. (If you want to donate money for this event, please make check out to “Santa Clara University” and write in the memo area Halloween event. Drop your check or money donation off to the Ignatian Center for Jesuit Education, Sobrato Hall A, Room 30.
Volunteers needed and welcome to serve at the event! We would prefer all volunteers serving at the event to be in costume, if possible. If you are interested in participating at the event please send an email to Jan Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we can follow up with you.
Any additional questions? Please send an email to Marquita Coe (email@example.com)