Santa Clara University


B.S./M.S. Five-Year Dual Degree Program

B.S./M.S. Five-Year Program for Students in the School of Engineering

The School of Engineering also offers qualified Santa Clara University undergraduates the opportunity to earn both a B.S. and M.S. degree in five years. The program is open to Bioengineering, Civil Engineering, Computer and Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Management & Leadership and Mechanical Engineering. This is an excellent way to save time and it opens up more career possibilities early on.

To apply, you will need to submit the Engineering Graduate Services' Online Application no later than the end of your junior year. The application fee and the GRE General Test requirement are waived. Automatic admission into the 5-year program is based on a minimum GPA of 3.0 (this GPA is not cumulative and is based only on math, science and engineering classes). Upon notification of acceptance into the B.S./M.S. program, students may begin taking graduate-level courses in their senior year and a maximum of 20 units can be transferred into the graduate program.

Please note that you will not be able to sign up for courses through Ecampus until your B.S. degree is conferred and your student status is officially changed to Graduate Student. In the interim, you can do the following to register for courses in your senior year (upon notification of your acceptance into the Graduate Program):
  1. Complete the Permission to Take Graduate or Undergraduate Course form (pdf).
  2. Have it signed by both your faculty advisor and the Director of Graduate Services.
  3. Bring the approved form to the Office of the Registrar for official course registration.
  1. BS degrees (for those who are graduating seniors) must be posted by Sept. 1 to allow the student progression in their graduate career.
  2. Course numbers below 200 indicate undergraduate courses; numbers of 200 and above indicate graduate courses. Students may take courses assigned both undergraduate and graduate numbers (same title used for both numbers) only one time, either as an undergraduate or graduate student.
  3. Undergraduate students must submit "Permission to Take Graduate or Undergraduate Course" form  to be correctly registered for graduate courses.