Edwin P. Maurer, Ph.D., P.E.
||Ph.D., University of Washington 2002
M.S., University California at Berkeley 1989
B.S., University of Rhode Island 1985
||Hydrology, water resources, hydrologic modeling.
Edwin Maurer holds a BS in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Rhode Island, a Masters in Civil Engineering (Water Resources) from UC Berkeley and a Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Washington. He joined the faculty of the SCU civil engineering department in September 2003. His general areas of expertise are in water resources and hydrologic modeling. His past experience includes work in municipal water supply and wastewater engineering, climate change studies, water resources studies in support of western tribal water rights, and rural community water supply projects in Peru. His most recent research is in simulating large scale hydrologic dynamics, looking for potential improvements in long-lead forecasting, and studying regional hydrologic effects of climate change.
Current Research Interests
Impacts of climate change on water resources, large-scale hydrologic variability and predictability, effect land use changes on streamflow, parameterization of land surface characteristics in hydrology.
- Maurer, E.P. and D.P. Lettenmaier, 2003, Predictability of seasonal runoff in the Mississippi River basin, J. Geophys. Res. 108 (D16) 8607 doi:10.1029/2002JD002555.
- Ziegler, A.D., J. Sheffield, E.P. Maurer, B. Nijssen, E.F. Wood, and D.P. Lettenmaier, 2003, Detection of intensification of continental-scale hydrological cycles: temporal scale of evaluation, J. Climate 16, 535-547.
- Maurer, E.P., J. Rhoads, R.O. Dubayah, and D.P. Lettenmaier, 2003, Evaluation of the Snow-Covered Area Data Product from MODIS, Hydrological Processes 17(1), 59-71, doi:10.1002/hyp.1193.
- Maurer, E.P., A.W. Wood, J.C. Adam, D.P. Lettenmaier, and B. Nijssen, 2002, A long-term land surface hydrologic data set for the conterminous United States, J. Climate 15(22), 3237-3251.
- Maurer, E.P., S. Gibbard, and P.B. Duffy, 2006, Amplification of streamflow impacts of El Niño by increased atmospheric greenhouse gases, Geophysical Research Letters Vol. 33, No. 2 L0270710.1029/2005GL025100.
- Maurer, E.P. and P.B. Duffy, 2005, Uncertainty in Projections of Streamflow Changes due to Climate Change in California, Geophys. Res. Let. 32(3), L03704 doi:10.1029/2004GL021462.
- Maurer, E.P. and D.P. Lettenmaier, 2004, Potential effects of long-lead hydrologic predicatability on Missouri River main-stem reservoirs, J. Climate 17(1), 147-186.
- Maurer, E.P., D.P. Lettenmaier, and N.J. Mantua, 2004, Variability and predictability of North American runoff, Water Resour. Res. 40(9), W09306 doi: 10.1029/2003WR002789.
- Maurer, E.P., 2007, Uncertainty in hydrologic impacts of climate change in the Sierra Nevada, California under two emissions scenarios, Climatic Change, Vol. 82, No. 3-4, 309-32.
- Maurer, E.P., I.T. Stewart, C. Bonfils, P.B. Duffy, and D. Cayan, 2007, Detection, attribution, and sensitivity of trends toward earlier streamflow in the Sierra Nevada, Journal of Geophysical Research 112, D11118, doi:10.1029/2006JD008088.
- Maurer, E.P., H.G. Hidalgo, T. Das, M.D. Dettinger, and D.R. Cayan, 2010, The utility of daily large-scale climate data in the assessment of climate change impacts on daily streamflow in California, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 14, 1125-1138Girvetz, E., Zganjar, C, Raber, G., Maurer, E.P., Kareiva, P., Lawler, J.J., 2009, Applied climate-change analysis: The Climate Wizard Tool, PLoS ONE 4(12): e8320.
- Maurer, E.P., J.C. Adam, and A.W. Wood, 2009, Climate model based consensus on the hydrologic impacts of climate change to the Rio Lempa basin of Central America, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 13, 183-194
Girvetz, E., Zganjar, C, Raber, G., Maurer, E.P., Kareiva, P., Lawler, J.J., 2009, Applied climate-change analysis: The Climate Wizard Tool, PLoS ONE 4(12): e8320.
- University Fellowship, University of California at Berkeley, 1988-89
- Phi Kappa Phi honor society, University of Rhode Island chapter, 1985
- Graduation with High Distinction, University of Rhode Island, 1985
- Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society, University of Rhode Island chapter, 1983
- Packard Fellowship, Santa Clara University, 2004-05
- School of Engineering Researcher of the Year, 2009
- CENG 41 Statics
- CENG 139 Groundwater Hydrology
- CENG 141 Hydraulics
- CENG 140 Water Resources Engineering
- CENG 142 Water Resources Design
- CENG 160 GIS in Water Resources
- CENG 161 Sustainable Water Resources