- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
- ECP Home
- Dean's Message
- About ECP
Academic Program Areas
Teacher Education, Preparation, & Advanced Studies
- Master of Arts in Teaching + Teaching Credential (MATTC)
- Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Education
- Preliminary Teaching Program for Catholic School Teachers
- Abbreviated Preliminary Teaching Program for Catholic and Private School Teachers
- Clear Teaching Credential
- Certificate in Alternative and Correctional Education
- Course Schedules
- Educational Leadership & Administration
- Counseling Psychology
- Teacher Education, Preparation, & Advanced Studies
- Career Center
- New Student Welcome
- Academic Calendar
- News & Updates
- Graduate Bulletin & Handbooks
- Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Course Descriptions & Schedules
- Student Forms
- Disabilities Resources
- Technology Resources
- Student Organizations
- CPSY Exit Survey
- Center for Professional Development
- Jerry Smith Coaching for Life Academy
- Contact Us!
Room number: 120 A
Steve Johnson, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer of Education, Director, Character Education, Catholic Education Advisor, Markkula Center/Department of Education
Steve Johnson is the Director of Character Education at the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University. Johnson developed the Character-Based Literacy Curriculum, now in use in the court-community schools of many California counties and hundreds of regular and alternative classrooms throughout the United States. Johnson trains teachers, counselors, and administrators in the curriculum, which integrates ethics into the language arts curriculum.
Johnson frequently gives presentations for parents on "Raising an Ethical Child" and for educators on Character-Based Literacy. A former teacher and principal, Johnson received his bachelor's degree from U.C. Berkeley and his Master of Arts in Special Education from Santa Clara University. He studied theology at the University of Dayton and began his doctoral studies at the University of Kentucky.
Professor Steve Johnson was one of three SCU faculty members who demonstrated to faculty and staff colleagues the use of Canvas, the Learning Management System (LMS) the university recently adopted. Professor Johnson was a key contributor to the decision making process, since he evaluated Canvas and the two other systems under consideration.