If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, call SCU EMS at (408) 554-4444 or call 911 immediately. Some common signs of alcohol poisoning include:
- Mental confusion
- Unconsciousness or difficulty rousing
- Slow breathing rate (fewer than 8 breaths per minute)
- Irregular breathing
- Low body temperature
- Bluish or pale skin color
If you see any of these symptoms or have reason to believe someone is severely intoxicated, do not wait to get them help. Also, do not let them “sleep it off.” They will become more dehydrated as they sleep and risk vomiting in their sleep.
Alcohol poisoning can lead to serious consequences such as:
- Choking on vomit
- Irregular or stopping of breathing
- Irregular or stopping of heart beat
- Permanent brain damage or death due to severe dehydration
Do not let someone go untreated if they are at risk for these severe consequences.