- Arts & Sciences Home
- Dean's Office
- Faculty & Staff
The internship experience is intended to help students gain practical experience and apply their education to real-world problems. PHS majors must devote at least 100 hours to an internship. Internships are typically with organizations outside SCU such as in public health departments, health clinics, community health agencies, or non-profit organizations.
1. Successfully complete PHSC 1.
2. Identify possible internship opportunities. There are many ways to do this – search online, use the SCU Career Center, utilize personal/family
/faculty connections, etc. We highly recommend joining the “SCU Public Health” group on LinkedIn, as many internship announcements are posted there.
3. Discuss options with any Public Health Science faculty member (currently: Stephens, Ruscetti, Saxton, Hauff, or Chyu) to determine whether the internship is appropriate for the PHS major. Once it is determined that a PHS faculty member has approved your internship, have him/her sign off on your filled out internship form (see below).
4. Scan and submit internship form to email@example.com for director's signature PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR INTERNSHIP. You will receive confirmation of receipt by email.
5. Complete the internship (minimum of 100 hours).
6. Have your internship supervisor email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that you have completed 100 hours.
7. Complete reflection essay and turn in to email@example.com. You will receive confirmation by email.
To fulfill the PHS major requirements, the internship experience must meet the following criteria:
Santa Clara University Food & Agribusiness Institute