Telephone or Skype Interviews
- Usually a 20 to 30 minute screening call to determine who will be invited for an in-person interview.
- If the call isn't scheduled and it isn't convenient, ask if you can set another time.
- Keep your resume and your CARs in front of you.
- Be sure you won't be interrupted. Turn call waiting off.
- To add energy, stand up or sit forward and smile.
- Write down names and titles of those who introduce themselves over the phone.
- Clearly wrap up each answer and then pause to let the interviewer know you are finished.
- Send a thank you email to the interviewer after the call.
- May be a screening call as above or a full interview if the position and/or the interviewer is not local.
- Check your technical setup, both audio and video. Optimally use a headphone to avoid feedback from computer speakers.
- Check your environment. You’ll need a neutral background and a quiet space.
- Check your lighting. You want to be seen clearly but with no harsh shadows.
- Dress appropriately. Stripes or patterns are distracting on the screen.
- Keep eye contact by looking at the camera, not at the little picture on your screen.
- Smile and show your enthusiasm.