On behalf of the Food and Agribusiness Institute, we would like to invite you to “The Business of Beer” speaker panel and tasting party!
The panel discussion will begin on Friday, October 17th at 5:00 pm in the Locatelli Activities Center, with beer tasting and hors d’oeuvre to follow. At only $12 per ticket, you will not find a better price for a night of lively conversation, food, and education of the mind and palate! We will not be selling tickets at the door, so make sure to buy them in advance!
Our panel includes the following notable guests:
Terence Fox- President, M.E. Fox & Company, Inc
- M.E. Fox & Company Inc. is a family owned and managed wholesale beer and beverage distributor serving Santa Clara County since 1965
- Terence Fox was elected by his peers to represent California on the Board of Directors of the National Beer Wholesalers Association in which he served on numerous committees including Government Affairs, Industry Affairs & Public Affairs. Terence was also elected to the Management Committee of the California Beer and Beverage Distributors Association.
- He was also on the February 1992 cover of Sports Illustrated!
Dan Gordon- Owner/ Brewmaster, Gordon Biersch Brewing Company
- Dan operates the 114,000 square foot state-of-the-art Gordon Biersch brewing and bottling facility in the Japantown neighborhood of San Jose.
- Dan is a graduate of the five-year brewing program at the Technical University of Munich. Few Americans have graduated from this prestigious program!
- Dan ensures that all Gordon Biersch beers are up to the standards of the German Purity Law Reinheitsgebot. This law dates back to the Holy Roman Empire and is the oldest food purity law still in use today.
Lloyd Knight- Marketing Manager, 21st Amendment Brewery
- Lloyd’s official title with 21st Amendment is “California Ambassador of Fun”
- He brings over twenty years of experience in and around the craft beer world working with great breweries like Barley & Hops, Anchor Brewing Company and 21st Amendment Brewery.
- Lloyd’s management and staffing philosophy is "Hire personalities and train jobs."
Marty Kuchinski- Hops Farmer, Hops-Meister LLC
- Marty owns and operates Hops-Meister farm in Clearlake, CA
- Marty has brought two California heritage cluster hop varieties back to the commercial market for the first time in 50 years.
- This year, Marty and his wife Claudia are working on their eighth harvest of certified organic hops.
Jenny Lewis- Co-Founder & CEO, Strike Brewing Company
- Jenny is a South Bay native and alumna of Presentation High School.
- Though she left home to attend Rice University for her BA and MBA, she started her brewery right in the heart of San Jose.
- Jenny has proven that owning and operating a successful brewery doesn’t have to be a boys’ club! Strike is now sold in 13 counties, and in big name shops like Whole Foods Market, BevMo, Safeway and Costco.
Jenny Merit- Craft Beer Ambassador, DBI Beverage
- Jenny is an alumna of Richmond University and the French Culinary Institute.
- She boasts four professional certifications for serving and pairing libations.
- Currently, DBI distributes 37 different brands of craft and big-name beers throughout Santa Clara County.
Keegan Raines- Beer Specialist, Whole Foods Market Cupertino
- Keegan has worked for Whole Foods Market as a Beer Specialist for over six years.
- Keegan is also an avid home brewer, with over a dozen years of experience. Currently he is in the process of making his own mini brewery in his garage!
- He also is very involved in the beer community, and continuing his own beer education. You can often find him at beer tastings, seminars and conferences.
John Gillooly- Brewmaster, Drake's Brewing
- John started his brewing career in 1995 by taking the American Brewer's Guild class under Dr. Michael Lewis of UC Davis.
- John has brewed at a number of breweries including Redhook, Golden Pacific and Trumer, and has held leadership positions at Mendocino Brewing, Dogfish Head, Speakeasy, and now Drake's.
- His love of fermentation does not end with beer! John is an active home fermenter and often makes kimchi, sourdough bread, and hot sauces, among other things.
Mr. Jay Brooks will moderate our diverse panel like good malt barley moderates your favorite lager. Jay has been writing and speaking about beer professionally for 25 years. He is now a popular Bay Area beer blogger and columnist for the San Jose Mercury News.
Following the panel discussion guests are invited to mingle with panelists, alumni and friends while enjoying hors d'oeuvres and beer tastings.
The following breweries will be sampling and available to chat about their brews:
- 21st Amendment Brewery from San Francisco
- Anchor Brewing Company from San Francisco
- Drake’s Brewing Company from San Leandro
- Firestone Walker Brewing Company from Paso Robles
- Gordon Biersch Brewery from San Jose
- Hermitage Brewing Company from San Jose
- No Name Cider Company from San Jose
- Strike Brewing Company from San Jose
Come mingle with friends, students, alumni and brewery representatives to learn more about how you can get involved in this exciting, burgeoning industry.
Parking is available for $4 in the lot adjacent to the Locatelli Center. Make you payment at the automated kiosk in the lot. Please arrive between 4:30 and 4:45 so that we can being the program promptly at 5.