Santa Clara University

Graduate School of Engineering

Academic Information


The Engineering Honor Code is a long-standing Santa Clara tradition. Instituted at the request of engineering students, the code states: All students taking courses in the School of Engineering agree, individually and collectively, that they will not give or receive unpermitted aid in examinations or other coursework that is to be used by the instructor as the basis of grading. Students and teachers cooperate and share responsibilities under the code. Teachers are responsible for making clear what aid is permissible and for using procedures that minimize temptations to violate the code. Students are responsible for behaving honorably, for actively ensuring that others as well as themselves uphold the code, and for being responsive to violations. Students dominate the administration of the code, and they take full responsibility for trying cases of alleged violations and for recommending penalties. Alleged violations should be reported to the Office of the Dean.


The Graduate Core is a set of requirements that is common to all departments in the School of Engineering. The Core promotes an educational philosophy that goes far beyond narrow specialization and emphasizes a global and societal orientation. It also reflects the fact that we live in an increasingly complex world, in which engineers must continually deepen their understanding of the interdisciplinary environment in which they operate.

Students will be required to take a course in each of the following three areas of the Core (for a minimum of 6 units):

  1. Emerging Topics in Engineering
  2. Engineering and Business/Entrepreneurship
  3. Engineering and Society

The following courses are currently approved for this purpose (students are encouraged to periodically check the graduate engineering website for updates regarding new courses in these areas. No substitutions will be approved.).

Emerging Topics in Engineering

  • AMTH 308 Theory of Wavelets
  • AMTH 351 Quantum Computing
  • AMTH 367 Mathematical Finance
  • AMTH 387 Cryptology
  • BIOE 256/ENGR 256 Introduction to Nanobioengineering
  • CENG 213 Sustainable Materials
  • CENG 215 Sustainable Structural Engineering
  • CENG 219 Designing for Sustainable Construction
  • COEN 331 Wireless and Mobile Networks
  • COEN 389 Energy-Efficient Computing
  • ELEN 280/MECH 287 Introduction to Alternative Energy Systems
  • ENGR 260 Nanoscale Science and Technology
  • ENGR 262 Nanomaterials
  • ENGR 273 Sustainable Energy and Ethics
  • ENGR 337 Sustainability and Green Information Technology
  • ENGR 371 Space Systems Design and Engineering I
  • ENGR 372 Space Systems Design and Engineering II
  • MECH 234 Combustion Technology
  • MECH 268 Computational Fluid Dynamics I
  • MECH 295 Fire Dynamics

Engineering and Business/Entrepreneurship

  • AMTH 367 Mathematical Finance
  • CENG 208 Engineering and Project Finance
  • CENG 282 Infrastructure Project Management
  • COEN 287 Software Development Process Management
  • ENGR 302 Managing in the Multicultural Environment
  • ENGR 304 Building Global Teams
  • ENGR 336 Engineering for the Developing World
  • ENGR 338 Mobile Applications for Emerging Markets

This requirement can also be satisfied by taking any 2-unit course in engineering management.

Engineering and Society

  • BIOE 210 Ethical Issues in Bioengineering
  • CENG 208 Engineering Economics and Project Finance
  • COEN 250 Information Security Management
  • COEN 288 Software Ethics
  • ELEN 217 Chaos Theory, Metamathematics, and the Limits of Knowledge:
    A Scientific Perspective on Religion
  • ENGR 261 Nanotechnology and Society
  • ENGR 272 Energy Public Policy
  • ENGR 273 Sustainable Energy and Ethics
  • ENGR 302 Managing in the Multicultural Environment
  • ENGR 303 Gender and Engineering
  • ENGR 304 Building Global Teams
  • ENGR 306 Engineering and the Law
  • ENGR 310 Engineering Ethics
  • ENGR 330 Law, Technology, and Intellectual Property
  • ENGR 332 Emergent Human Systems
  • ENGR 333 Forms of Nature
  • ENGR 334 Energy, Climate Change, and Social Justice
  • ENGR 336 Engineering for the Developing World
  • ENGR 340 Clean Energy for the Developing World
  • ENGR 341 Innovation, Design and Spirituality
  • ENGR 342 3D Print Technology and Society
  • ENGR 343 Science, Religion and the Limits of Knowledge
  • ENGR 349 Topics in Frugal Engineering

Please Note: Although certain courses (such as ENGR 302, ENGR 304, ENGR 336, and AMTH 367 for example) may appear in multiple categories, they cannot be used to satisfy more than one Core requirement.


Classes are taught in the following timeslots: 7:10-9:00 a.m., 5:10-7:00 p.m., and 7:10-9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday with some Saturday and/or Sunday offerings; 2-unit courses meet one day per week, and four unit courses meet two days per week.


Only courses in which the student has earned assigned grades of A, B, or C, with plus (+) or minus (-) variations, may be counted for the master’s or Ph.D. degree. The student must earn a 3.0 average in the approved 45 units required for the completion of the M.S. degree or the approved 72 units required for the Ph.D. degree. Only credits, not grade points, are transferred from other institutions. A cumulative GPA of less than 2.6 after the completion of 16 units may result in dismissal from the graduate program.

Please note: Only classes with assigned grades of C- or higher will count toward the completion of the certificates, M.S. or Ph.D. degrees.


The grades A, B, C, and D may be modified by (+) or (-) suffixes, except that the grade of A may not be modified by a (+). Grade point values per unit are assigned as follows: A = 4.0; A- = 3.7; B+ = 3.3; B = 3.0; B- = 2.7; C+ = 2.3; C = 2; C- = 1.7; D+ = 1.3; D = 1.0; D- = 0.7. F= 0., I (incomplete), P (pass), NP (no pass), and W (withdrawn) are all assigned zero points. Unit credit, but not grade point credit, is awarded when the grade of P is assigned. The P (pass) and NP (no pass) options are not available in engineering management courses.

The University also uses the following marks: AUD (audit), I (incomplete), N (continuing work), NP (not passed), NS (no show), and W (withdrawn). No unit credit or grade point value is granted for any of these marks.

Please note: Only classes with assigned grades of C- or higher will count toward the completion of the certificates, M.S. or Ph.D. degrees.


Courses such as seminars (with the exception of COEN 400 and ELEN 200), Co-ops, etc., are limited to a total of five units and must be approved by the student’s advisor.

Please Note: Co-op units may not be used toward the completion of a degree.


A student’s work may be reported incomplete if due to illness or other serious circumstance some essential portion of the coursework remains unfinished after the final examination, or if the thesis has not been completed. An incomplete (I) becomes a failure (F) unless the unfinished work is completed to the satisfaction of the instructor and proper notice is filed with the registrar within four weeks from the beginning of the next scheduled quarter, not including summer session. Makeup work must be in the hands of the instructor no later than the end of the third week so that the instructor can meet the four-week submission deadline.


A student may take courses with a grading basis of “audit” but need to keep in mind the following:

  • The current graduate tuition rate of $892.00 per unit + the $150.00 engineering fee will be charged.
  • No grade points or credit will be earned so the class cannot be counted toward the completion of a certificate, M.S. or Ph.D.
  • A student will need to register for the class, then send an email to the Director of Records and Operations requesting that the grading basis be changed to “Audit”:
  • The last day to request to audit a course is at the end of the first week of instruction.


A student may, with the permission of the department, repeat a course in which a grade of C or lower was received on the first attempt. All grades, whether received on the first or second attempt, will be used in computing overall student performance. The units from a course may be counted only once in fulfilling graduation requirements.


Students may change their course registration as stated in the Academic Calendar. Withdrawal from any course may be accomplished up to the 7th Friday of the term. After the fourth week of the quarter, a withdrawal will be recorded as W on the transcript. After the tenth Friday, an emergency that qualifies may be handled as an incomplete (I). Dropping a course without formal withdrawal will result in a grade of F. Deadlines are strictly adhered to and will result in loss of tuition refund.


During the first quarter of enrollment, a student whose objective is an M.S. degree should meet with a faculty advisor to discuss the program of studies and future coursework. The advisor-approved program of studies, including any transfer units, must be submitted to Engineering Graduate Programs before the end of the first quarter of enrollment. Variations from the approved program of studies may be made only with the written approval of the advisor and the filing of the proper forms.

A maximum of 16 units earned in a SCU nondegree status and nine units of graduate-
level transfer credit from an accredited university may be applied toward graduation upon approval of the academic advisor. All units must be included on the Program of Studies.

Please Note: Extension and continuing education units are not accepted for transfer.


M.S. students who have an undergraduate degree from Santa Clara University can transfer up to 12 units of eligible graduate level coursework into the program.

  • Only those courses completed with a C grade or better will be eligible for transfer.
  • The units may not have been used for another degree.
  • Since these courses were taken at SCU, the grades will count toward the overall grade point average.


All M.S. students have the option to transfer a maximum of six semester or nine quarter units of graduate level coursework from an accredited institution into their degree program with their advisor’s approval. All Ph.D. students have the option to transfer a maximum of 12 semester or 18 quarter units of graduate level coursework from an accredited institution into their degree program with their advisor’s approval. Please keep the following in mind when transferring units:

  • Only those courses completed with a C grade or better will be eligible for transfer.
  • Extension, continuing education, and online courses may not be transferred.
  • The units may not have been used for another degree.
  • Only the credit will transfer, but not grades so your overall grade point average will be based on coursework completed at Santa Clara University only.
  • An official transcript and course syllabus is required for verification of the units by the student’s advisor and Engineering Graduate Programs.

In order to transfer units into a degree program, please follow this procedure:

  • Include those units you wish to transfer in the “Transfer Credit” section of the Program of Studies form and include the Institution Name, Course Number and Name, Grade, Units* and Year. (*Please note that 1 semester unit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter units. Please put the quarter unit value on your Program of Studies so that the final total will be correct.)
  • Have your academic advisor sign the Program of Studies form and submit it to Engineering Graduate Programs.


It is a student’s responsibility to file a petition for graduation no later than the last day to petition for graduate degrees as indicated in the Academic Calendar. The petition to graduate will only be accepted through online submission and may be found on the website .

Please Note: Eligibility to participate in the June Commencement ceremony will be based on the completion of all requirements by the end of the spring quarter. If you still have units or a thesis to complete after the spring quarter, participation in the ceremony will be delayed until the following June.


The objective of cooperative education is to provide students with the opportunity, through the interaction of study and work experience, to enhance their academic knowledge, to further their personal work experience, and to learn about working with people. The Cooperative Education option integrates classroom work with practical industrial experience. It alternates or parallels periods of college education with periods of practical training in industry. The industrial training is related to the field of study in which the student is engaged and often is diversified to afford a wide range of experience. To qualify for this study option, students must complete at least 24 units at Santa Clara University. Interested students should contact the Cooperative Education Office in the Career Services Office early in their academic program.

International students who wish to pursue this option through curricular practical training (CPT) must enroll in ENGR 288. This class can be taken during the first quarter of CPT, or before the training begins. Those who plan to start (or continue) their CPT after they have taken ENGR 288 must enroll in ENGR 289 (which can be taken for credit up to four times).**

** NOTE THAT THE UNITS ASSOCIATED WITH ENGR 288 AND ENGR 289 ARE ADDITIONAL to the units that are required by the department.


Concurrent Enrollment means that a student is enrolled in two places at the same time. An international student at Santa Clara University may be given permission to engage in Concurrent Enrollment provided the student meets the following USCIS requirements:

  • Combined enrollment amounts to a full course of study
  • The student has been granted permission from a faculty advisor to enroll at another college (advisor must sign Concurrent Enrollment Form)
  • Must receive written approval from DSO at International Student Services
  • The student is making normal progress at Santa Clara and is not in danger of probation or disqualification
  • The coursework at the other school is NOT vocational and will be accepted for fulfilling degree requirements at SCU

For more information, please contact the International Student Services Office at 408-554-4318 or refer to the website.


Students in the Master’s program are expected to enroll in at least one unit for the fall, winter and spring quarters. Those who do not wish to do so must submit a leave of absence form or a withdrawal form to the Graduate Services office. A leave of absence form is required if a student plans to miss one or two quarters, while any longer absence requires a withdrawal form. Students who wish to resume their Master’s studies after withdrawing from the program must apply for readmission, and obtain the signatures of their academic advisor and the department chair.

Students are required to complete their degree within six years from their original admit term date. The six year time frame includes quarters during which a student was not enrolled. Note that students who miss one or more quarters and fail to submit the appropriate form(s) will be discontinued automatically, and will have to reapply to the Master’s program. They will need to follow the same procedure as students who withdrew from the program.


Withdrawal from the University is not officially complete until students clear all of their financial obligations with the Bursar’s Office. Students on deferments or a Federal Perkins Loan must also clear their financial obligations with the Credit Counseling Office.


University policy relating to student records complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Accordingly, the University may release directory information to any person on request, unless a student requests in writing that directory information be kept confidential. A student’s directory information is designated as follows:

  1. Name
  2. Address, telephone number (campus, local and/or permanent), e-mail
  3. Date and place of birth
  4. Dates of attendance, full-time/part-time status, major field of study, classification, expected graduation date, degrees, and honors received
  5. Photographic image
  6. Most recent previous educational institution attended
  7. Participation in officially recognized activities, including intercollegiate athletics
  8. Name, height, and weight of participants on intercollegiate athletic teams

During the registration period and throughout the academic year, students may request in writing, through the Office of the Registrar, that directory information be kept confidential. Once filed, the request remains in effect until the beginning of the next academic year, or a shorter period, if designated by the student.

Certain records are excluded by the law from inspection, specifically those created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, or psychologist in connection with the treatment or counseling of a student. Parents’ financial information, including statements submitted with scholarship applications, is also excluded by law from inspection. Third parties may not have access to educational records or other information pertaining to students without the written consent of the particular student about whom the information is sought.

Former or current borrowers of funds from any Title IV student loan program should note carefully that requests for nondisclosure of information will have no effect on preventing Santa Clara University from releasing information pertinent to employment, enrollment status, current address, and loan account status to a school lender, subsequent holder, guarantee agency, U.S. Department of Education, or an authorized agent.

Students have the right to inspect and review their educational records at the following offices:

  1. Official academic records, including application forms, admissions transcripts, letters of acceptance, and a student’s permanent academic record are on file and maintained in the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Working academic files are also maintained by the deans in their respective offices.
  3. Records related to students’ nonacademic activities are maintained in the Office of Student Life.
  4. Records relating to students’ financial status with the University are maintained in the various student financial services offices.

Students have the right to request the amendment of their educational records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights. Students may direct complaints regarding academic records to the dean of the college or school in which they are enrolled or to the University Registrar. In addition, students have the right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by Santa Clara University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Written complaints should be directed to the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20202-5902. Detailed information can be found on the Family Compliance Office website:

Copies of Santa Clara University’s student records policy are available from the Student Records Office, Walsh Administration Building.


The U.S. Department of Education requires universities that receive Title IV funding to disclose certain information, including institutional graduation rates, athlete graduation rates, financial assistance awarded, and crime statistics. Information presented in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is made available to assist current and potential students and employees in making informed decisions regarding their attendance or employment with Santa Clara University. To view the Santa Clara University reports, please refer to the Campus Safety Services website .

A paper copy of the report may be obtained by writing to Campus Safety Services, Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053.

Printer-friendly format